Pages

Topsail Beach

Topsail Beach (pronounced Tops'l by the locals) is located on North Carolina's coast at the southern tip of Topsail Island, below North Topsail and Surf City. It's a great place to visit, not only because the atmosphere is laid back and friendly, but because, located at the southern-most tip at the confluence of the sound and the Atlantic Ocean, is a long stretch of quiet, pristine shore, much of which is reserved for nesting wildlife.

I can't top that in words, so I'll show you in pictures:

THE TOWN:

Maritime forest coat lots and dunes around the island, protecting it from surges and storms:

Sand, brush, and Sun Blankets (wildflowers) occupy empty lots. I'm told past hurricanes have destroyed the buildings that once stood here.

But the vacant lots give the island an open feel. We stopped to take pictures several times, earning the attention of local law enforcement personnel. This happens more often than I care to admit. I just smile (for I'm fond of law enforcement personnel, and don't blame them for protecting their hometown) and show them the camera.

Topsail Beach is the home of the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital, which I covered in a post of that name:

The blue tanks are temporary homes for sea turtles recovering from injury or illness. One of these days, I hope we'll get to witness a patient's release:

Sun Blankets (aka Indian Blankets) grow on some of the dunes, stabilizing them:


THE BEACH:

Topsail has a great beach, and it stretches for what has to be a couple of miles. Below is the pier-which we've managed to overlook on all our visits:

Other beach scenes:


There should be a sign: Warning--Beaches are Patrolled at All Times!


Look closely along the horizon, you'll see the pier:

I took this shot for my blog banner:

This is the northern edge of the southern tip of Topsail Beach, where the pristine part begins:


The pier can barely be seen at this point. We're at least a mile away by now, if not further:

Kell poses for scale. Beyond him is the watery confluence:



Overall, a great place to kick back and relax.

----------------

Copyright 2009. All Rights Reserved. Do Not Distribute text or images.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very beautiful.
I like the pictures you take are very interesting I may go and learn something out of my country.

KB said...

Thank you very much! We're having a lot of fun exploring the region we live in. I'm pleased this little blog has inspired you to do the same!

NCmountainwoman said...

We love Topsail. Such a great family beach. When the kids were little they thought the "Jolly Roger Pier" was the greatest.

BTW: "Top'sl" is the sailor's pronunciation of topsail, not limited to the locals.

KB said...

I agree with you. We've been to Topsail several times and loved it each time we went.

I didn't know that about the sailors. Thanks for the info!

Sarah Salter said...

I, too, love Tops'l Beach. (We've always pronounced it that way, too.) When I was a kid, there was a Catholic retreat center there. (It may still be there.) One summer, my brother and I went to an interdenominational summer camp there. It was one of the greatest experiences of my childhood. Tops'l will always have a special place in my heart.

KB said...

The folks around here seem to head to Topsail more than the other NC beaches. I don't blame them--it's a great place!

Thanks for stopping by!