Pages

Strawberry Chapel, old Childsbury Towne Colony, SC

I'm a fan of South Carolina history. Lowcountry resident and aspiring author, Shannon McNear, knows this, so she invited me to detour to the Charleston area during a recent trip for a quick stop at a little place I'd never heard of: Strawberry Chapel near Moncks Corner.

Situated up the road from the Cooper River, Strawberry Chapel served what once was Childsbury Towne. The area is now a heritage preserve, but like Diamond City on Shackleford Banks, some of the residents remain in the grounds surrounding the chapel.

Vandals have damaged the chapel and several of the graves. Help protect SC's heritage

 
 
 

Despite heat and humidity that could suffocate a mosquito, we strolled under the shade of large, mossy oak trees, talking about the history of the South Carolina colony and of the prominent citizens who lived there. We then took a walk down to the river near what once was Strawberry Landing. The Cooper stretches wide at this point, and the blues and greens almost took my breath away.

We stayed there for awhile, chatting, sometimes waving at the numerous boaters traveling upriver until the heat got the best of us. I must say, beyond the tranquility we experienced, this is one of the prettiest places I've seen in the Carolinas.

Update: I received this is a comment, but felt it necessary to include it in the post:
When visiting the area, please understand that the grounds around Strawberry Chapel are private property, and due to repeated vandalism, visitors are warned not to enter or go beyond fence. Please enjoy chapel's tranquility and beauty from afar. For permission to enter, contact Strawberry's vestry.
I was unaware of this at the time of my visit four years ago (if it was the policy back then) but we spotted some damage, so if you wish to visit the grounds, please go through the proper channels, and report signs of vandalism. The numbers are below.

For more information on Childsbury Towne, go to www.nationalregister.sc.gov/berkeley/S10817708023/

4 comments:

Julie said...

Absolutely beautiful, Kimberli. That one shot of the huge tree next to the graves is fantastic. And I love the water, of course.

KB said...

Thanks, Julie. My post didn't do this place justice. As I mentioned, this serene area was once a vibrant port where colonist traded with Native Americans. I'd love to find a few sketchings or paintings from that time, or at least a couple of letters or journals. I'd love to get a glimpse of their daily life.

Anonymous said...

When visiting the area, please understand that the grounds around Strawberry Chapel are private property, and due to repeated vandalism, visitors are warned not to enter or go beyond fence. Please enjoy chapel's tranquility and beauty from afar. For permission to enter, contact Strawberry's vestry.
Reports of vandalism and/or trespassing:
Sheriff’s Office: 843-723-3800, ext. 4424
Crime Stoppers: 843- 554-1111

KB said...

Thank you. Shannon had mentioned the vandalism, and I spotted some damage during my visit, so I included your comment in the post. It's sad that people get a thrill out of destroying the past. North Carolina's Old Brunswick Towne was lost to history for years. Residents shouldn't hamper the efforts of those striving to ensure the same doesn't happen to Strawberry Chapel and Childsbury Town Heritage.